1 Who is selling arms irresponsibly?
ChinaDaily.com.cn carries article lambasting western nations which have criticized Chinese weapon exports fueled regional conflicts and humanitarian crises in Africa. Washington Post had published an article on August 26 where it said that China’s dubious arms exports policies and anti-UN stance in this matter makes it stand apart from other arms exporters like US, Russia etc.
In his article, author Kong Chushan claims:
“China’s arms trade strictly follows three important principles:
1) exports should be conducive to the legitimate self-defense capabilities of the recipient country;
2) exports should not undermine the peace, security and stability of the region concerned and the world as a whole, and
3) exports should not be used to interfere with the internal affairs of the recipient country.”
Although the article is not too far from truth in criticising hypocrisy of western nations, but when one considers Chinese track record of illegal trade of nukes and missiles with rogue terrorist nations like Pakistan and North Korea, this article seems nothing more than another one of their famous face saving measures.
2. Countries Sending Arms to Syria Add to the Misery
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that countries sending arms to Syria are only adding to the misery. He also said the humanitarian situation in Syrian is grave and getting worse. Mr. Ban told the diplomats that ‘U.N. efforts to help Syrian refugees are badly underfunded, with only half of the money needed contributed so far.’
3. Maoists in India buying sophisticated US arms
Maoists in India have abandoned their preference for simple weapons in favour of sophisticated US made weapons like M-16 rifles. According to police, the weapons were smuggled in to Jharkhand from Manipuri insurgent groups. It’s difficult not to notice the irony. Maoists are being forced to use arms manufactured by evil imperialist and capitalist Americans.
Indian Ministry for Home Affairs has expressed it’s concern over this development.