I was born in a Hindu family, but turned atheist a long time ago. First it was disgust with the miseries that all religions cause and then God and his existence became less and less important to me.
Media made me believe that Hindus due to their majority status should be more tolerant of minorities, especially Muslims. Any terrorist act is a handiwork of a few rotten apples, not the whole community and I agree with it whole-heartedly. Then there is a constant stream of intellectuals, liberals and self-important celebrities who repeatedly bash Hinduism on points like casteism, lack of unity, superstition among others. I agree with them on these too.
After Gujarat riots, attacks on missionaries Hindus were proved to be a violent blood thirsty mob that could go out of control on least provocation. VHP, Bajrang Dal etc. were villains and I still don’t like them.
Some missionaries were attacked and killed by Hindu extremists just because they were luring people into conversion with offers of money. It was bad Hinduism in first place that people were tempted to convert.
So called backward categories now enjoy almost 40% reservations. Its sins of their forefathers that upper caste Hindus of current generation have to pay for now.
Bomb blasts, riots happened in Bombay, Gujarat,.. it was intolerant Hindus who pushed Muslims into violence. I could swallow all that.
To sum that all up, Hindus are a bunch of casteist, discriminatory, intolerant religious bigots who deserve to be punished, mocked at and given same amount of respect that is reserved for Taliban. In their need to be seen as fashionably cool, liberal and cosmopolitan, most Indians think the same. Its always fault of Hindu majority.
But why are there double standards when our intelligentsia talks about Muslims? Inspite of so much violence based on Islam ( in India only) how come they are always poor, under-represented, righteous minority who deserve to be protected from Hindu majority?
Let me explain here in case of J&K;:
1) J&K; is only Muslim majority state in J&K.; See what they did to Hindus here. 4Lakh+ Kashmiri Pandits living all over the Kashmir division were driven out of their homeland of thousands of years after sustained violence that included rape, arson, killings and robberies on gun-point. A large no. of them are still living in refugee camps with single room tin shacks or tents even after 20 years of their displacement.
Compare the news space that suffering of 4 Lakh Hindus gets as compared to 3-4000 Muslims(more or less) of Gujarat.
2) During recent protests in J&K; over Amarnath land issue, dozens of Hindu pilgrims were attacked and beaten up by Muslim mobs in Kashmir. 3 Sikh truck drivers from Jammu region were critically injured in different places there. 30 buildings belonging to Hindus were burnt down in Poonch. There were grenade attacks on Hindu processions in Kishtwar. Hindus were attacked in Rajauri too.
FYI, Rajauri, Poonch, Kistwar , all are Muslim majority ares.
Compared to this in Jammu city, where Muslims are in minority, there were no attacks on any Muslim. Many of my neighbours are Muslims. Even when protests were at their peak, they were freely visiting mosques wearing skull caps and no Hindu bothered any of them.
In Jourian(Akhnoor), local Hindus chased out a few miscreants who were trying to stone a mosque. News of a few burnt mudhuts of Muslims was national news, but intimidation and attacks on 100s of Hindus was not .
3) How many Hindu temples are left in Kashmir? Of a few temples buildings still intact, how many are still used as temples?
4) Why Kashmiri Muslims are whining about Azadi when J&K; is one of the richest states in India, receives more aid than many of states combined, has a separate constitution, flag and article 370?
Compare condition of Indian Kashmir with PoK in these links
Why don’t KMs ask for Azadi of Pak Occupied Kashmir too?
One of the most obvious reasons seems to be that Pakisatan is an Islamic country while India is a secular democracy where kafirs and muslims have equal rights . Apparently kafirs can’t have same rights as a Muslim.
5) KMs raised bogey of economic blockade by Hindu extremists. Rest of India was stupid enough to beleive this bullshit. Everywhere on TV, newspapers etc there was this so called economic blockade of Kashmir which was just false propoganda. I travel on Jammu – Srinagar highway daily for work and only day when there was complete blocakade was on 1st August. After that Army was out everywhere blocking protesters from even reaching the highway. Figures from State, Centre and Army prove this fact. Shortage of any of commodities in KAshmir was due to strikes called by Hurriat and PDP goons, not protesters in Jammu.
Infact it was Jammu which was under economic seige due to strikes. No truck loaded or unloaded in Jammu for whole month. But Jammu agitation was for a “Hindu” cause, so this fact was ignored easily.
Read archives of dailyexcelsior.com and earlytimes.in for news reports
5) KMs say that it was a Muslim shepherd who found the cave and are still taking care of pilgrims. So management of yatra should be in Muslim hands only. One thing not many people know that this cave was known to Hindus for thousands of years. That shepherd only rediscovered it. Going by their logic, owing to their share in population, Hindus pay more than 75-80% of taxes in India. So 70-80% of posts in govt’s haj yatra management should be reserved for Hindus.
The buzz around is like KMs serve pilgrims for free. While truth is like this
6) KMs openly burnt Indian flags, hoisted paki, Islamic and black flags and raised anti-India and pro-paki and militant slogans. Gilani openly says that he is a pakistani. Compred to this in Jammu, leaders of agitation blocked any politician from all parties including BJP from either participating or addressing any rally. Only flag they carried was national Tricolour. But since Jammu was fighting for a “Hindu” cause, that agitation was communal and politically motivated and worth derision of secualr Indians. While KMs were fighting for their azadi from iron-hand of Indian Army, so they deserve our understanding and love
7) Hindu extremists like VHP, Bajrang Dal etc are a nuisance at worst. All they do is annoying protests against imaginary insults to Hinduism like Valentine’s Day, some art etc. SIMI and related organistaions on the other hand are accused of treason and terrorist acts all over India. Still there is a talk of unbanning SIMI and banning VHP, Bajrang Dal. Apparently, bombing of a gift gallery by Muslim terrorists is more Halaal than ransacking by a few rabid Hindu goons. Why don’t such people look around Islamic countries to see how many allow Valentine’s Day and paintings like that of Hussain in their territory.
Every moron terrorist justifies his acts by saying, Islam is in danger and he is fighting to protect it. They bomb, maim, kill, rape and torture people regardless of nationality, age, gender or even religion. Still according to liberals, Islam is a religion of peace and these people need to be treated with kid-gloves not iron-fist.
IMHO, best Indian in India right now is a Muslim, our top rocket scientist and former President Mr. APJ Abdul Kalam Azad. Minorities in India have achieved success in every field, politics, industry, sports, science, art. You name it. Still, minorities are unsafe here.
Shabana Azami says that she couldnot find a flat for herself because she is a Muslim. Has it ever occured to her that her snobbish attitude could be one reason? Where was she living for so long in Mumbai all this time? If her religion was a factor, how come Khans are top dogs in bollywood? How many Indians refuse to see a movie because it has a Muslim actor, director, singer in it?
You cannot talk about taking a strong stance against China and Pakistan, no matter what the provocation. Reason, We are peacefulGandhian people, war is bad, its bad for economy, blah blah.I agree war is bad , but since when its accpetable to sell national self-respect and soul for money? It is accpetable to loose 1000s of soldiers every year in proxy war but taking strong actions against pakistan is haraam.
I don’t have anything against any religious group. They are free to practise their religion, as long as they are reasonable, don’t force their ideology on others and respect sovereignity of nation. Is it too much to ask for?For how long a nationlist who by chance happens to be a Hindu is supposed to bend over backwards to be considered liberal and tolerant?