Type: Major Pakistan Air Force base and nuclear weapons storage site.
Location: Sargodha, Punjab, Pakistan.
Coordinates: 32°02′34″N 72°40′43″E
Comments: PAF base Mushaf in Sargodha, Punjab is one of more important military establishments for multiple reasons:
It is Central air command of PAF. It also houses Combat Commanders School which has Skybolts flying Dassault Mirage 111/5 and Dashings currently flying Chengdu F.7P. These can be seen parked out in open often.
Number 9 and 19 Squadrons with F-16A/B Block 15. Unlike Mirage and F7 mentioned above, F-16s spend most of their time in hardened shelters.
Number 24 Squadron flying Electronic Warfare aircraft based on French Dassault Falcon 20 airframe.
A large number of Pakistani nuclear warheads and missiles like M-11 are stored here.
Comments: This seems to be a pretty nondescript patch of land with only a few interesting features. Runway length is 900 m, which makes it pretty unusable for most combat aircraft. There seems to be no civilian infrastructure or civil flights. This is more like a big village or a very small town.
Only interesting thing that I was able to find that Lora Lai is one of primary training centers for Frontier Corps which is mostly involved in operations in Balochistan.
This is my 2nd article in the series of articles which analyse the work of Modi government starting from 2014 till present date. This one is about administration and governance. Unlike the first one on defence, it is not that binary and there are quite a few gray areas and is subject to opinions as much it is to facts. For example, I like how NGOs have been brought under tougher checks and a lot of such organisations have been forced to shut shop. But quite a few people view it as unfair. Additionally, there is an overlap between governance issues and various others like economy, foreign policy etc. In this article, focus will will be on the work done or changes in way of working of central government ministries and departments. Some of these will be mentioned in next article which will be about economy issues.
1. Steps for leaner, responsive and more efficient government.
This is the most obvious, yet hardest things to do for any regime. All the decisions made by the politically elected government are implemented by officials who usually see multiple such governments come and go through their service. It is next to impossible to fire or even penalise them for even gross incompetence. Any reform in their way of working is extremely hard and takes years of sustained effort. Political and ideological differences even among ministers also play their part. Then there are politicians who have a mutually beneficial nexus with such officials even when they are out of power. Some of the first steps taken by Modi regime was to break this nexus and it seems to have succeeded partially. But there is still a long way to go.
Squatters from govt properties removed
1. Officials working for central government have been forced to work much harder, so much so that many now view these prestigious jobs as punishment postings. Many non-performing officers have been disciplined and even sacked, a first. 1* 2* 29* 68* 112* 118* 132*
2. Even serving ministers have been forced to adopt austerity measures. Some examples are no new vehicles, reduced travel expenses 11*13* 71* 125*
3. Influence of foreign interests, corporates and their lobbyists has been severely curtailed. Many “powerful” people who had a lot of influence in various ministries and govt departments now don’t have insider knowledge or influence over decision making. 26* 63* 75*
4. Many politicians squatting on government properties have been forced to vacate them. List of more than 1500 such squatters includes many former ministers, MLAs, MPs and many so called artists, inetellectuals who have been staying in govt allotted properties long after their time was over. Even BJP run state governments have evacuated have evacuated former CMs and MLAs. 61* 65* 104* 108* 109* 113*
5. Business of paid for postings and transfers in many central govt departments has been severely curtailed. 7* 105*
6. Many useless posts have been abolished and major departments downsized and streamlined. Often posts like this were used to accommodate officials in high paying post-retirement postings.4* 117*
7. There is much greater communication between government and people. Many ministers and even PM office interact with common citizens on Twitter among other platforms. 124* 119*
8. Options opened for direct entry of domain experts in to government departments. 133* 134* 135*
9. Various measures taken to improve business climate like curtailment of harassment by various inspectors, passing of bankruptcy law, steps to improve ease of doing business among many others. It resulted in India making a record jump in ease of doing business index in 2017 and broke in to top 100 for first time. 3* 10* 12* 23* 46* 59* 66* 72* 154* 155* 156* 158* 159* 160*
10. A very large number of old, archaic laws removed. Latest one under consideration (July 2018) in Supreme Court is article 377, removal of which will lead to decriminalisation of homo-sexuality. 1159 such redundant laws removed in just 2 years. 42* 163* 164* 165*
1. Attempts to clean up bureaucracy and red tape need more will. In 4 years, there have not been many deep reforms in functioning of most govt departments, as far as corruption and delays are concerned. Then there have been some seemingly counter-productive measures like the one which makes it harder to investigate a govt servant.
2. For most part, BJP ruled states have not shown enough initiative and willingness for reforms as was expected of them.
There are some measures like removing squatters from palatial govt properties, attempted reforms in beuraucracy
2.Corruption and black money.
Before anyone starts “where are my 15 lakh which Modi promised”, kindly watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOa04NN1M_Q
Recovering black money was one of the major poll promises of BJP and they have made fairly good progress on some fronts while it lacks on others.. As it happened, cleanups also unearthed huge scams in bank loans in which UPA regime gave away loans to numerous people who never meant to pay those back. This has proven to be one of the biggest scams in history and many big industrialists and UPA politicians including former Finance Minister Chidambaram have been implicated. Many of them have ran away from India to escape persecution. Apart from that, even after their best efforts, all the opposition parties and their followers have been unable to find a single corruption charge against Modi regime till date.
Action against corruption and black money
Demonetisation, however controversial it may be, has enabled recovery of untaxed income worth thousands of crores which would have never happened except for drastic measure like this. Implementation of GST was not perfect, but it has led to streamlined taxation process with reduced leakage, This link contains list of some income tax raids done immediately after demonetisation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRovmVA_9x7NoyJHFLFZ7pA1Mi7gUYB6_OuGHgQA0pFLc9qQ1xTGMClqpGrudmZJ7YrBcg1n-VguZBi/pubhtml?gid=1658058173&single=true
1. Huge scam in banking sector in which loans worth thousands of crores were given away without proper checks under influence of UPA ministers unearthed. Number of industrialists, bank officials and politicians are implicated. Many of these industrialists are being forced to give back that money. Legal actions being taken against others, some of which have fled India and some politicians and their associates. Banks starting to show gains after sustained recovery efforts. 120* 131* 136* 137* 138* 139* 140* 141* 158*
2. Many politicians jailed or under investigation for various corruption issues including former CMs and central ministers. 130* 142* 143* 144* 149* 150*
3. Many dubious NGOs, many of which have shady backgrounds have been forced to shut shop or forced to reduce their operations. Among the benign ones, many of such organisations were front for money laundering and payment of lackeys. Others were foreign sponsored fronts for mass scale conversions of Indics, anti-India propaganda and terrorism. 5* 9* 21* 91* 115* 126* 127* 145*
4. A large quantity of black money from foreign bank accounts successfully recovered. Treaties signed with Switzerland (among other countries) under which Swiss will share details of Indians owning bank accounts in Swiss banks. 103* 122* 128* 129* 146* 148*
5. Large increase in number of people paying income tax after rules like Aadhar verification, demonetisation, GST. Huge amounts of money recovered in income tax raids. Properties of gangsters targeted. Lakhs of shell companies closed down. 101* 121* 123* 128* 129* 147* 151* 152* 153* 161*
6. Stronger laws passed against corruption and tax evasion. Top level corruption reduces significantly. 33* 75* 93* 101* 102*
1. Modi regime perhaps underestimated how difficult the recovery of black money from foreign accounts will be. Although a huge sum of money has been recovered, the whole process will take a lot longer and most likely will fall short of hype during election campaign.
2. A number of bank loan defaulters managed to evade authorities and escape to foreign countries. If they had been arrested earlier, then loan recovery would have been a lot more easier and faster.
3. Implementation of GST was not up to par. Numerous issues still exist which will take atleast a few months to be sorted out.
4. Although I personally support demonetisation, it was not as well planned as it should have been. Very large number of people faced inconveniences for quite long time due to shortage of currency. Strangely, number of currency notes in circulation has reached back previous levels.
5. Even if corruption at top levels has been reduced, grassroot corruption still seems to be as bad as it was earlier. Problem of citizens dealing directly with govt departments have not eased much.
The actual score would have been a 6. Extra half point is due to clean image of almost every minister and no scams yet. Opposition parties have tried their best to make up scams like the one for Rafale planes, but their attempts have been laughably stupid.
3. Programs for citizens.
Reforms in electricity
This regime seems to have better reach out programs for general public which are meant to make their lives and interaction with government machinery easier and fruitful. In addition to big steps like Jan Dhan bank accounts, Mudra Yojna, free LPG for poor, there have been number of measures implemented to make government departments more responsive and approachable. Some of these points have overlap with economy and infrastructure issues, but they are mentioned here because they affect lives of citizens directly. and profoundly.. Some of these will be explained in detail in later posts.
1. Red tape cut across various government departments. Steps like digital locker, self-attestation of documents and a few others meant to reduce paperwork, unnecessary delays and corruption implemented. 47* 62* 66* 67* 72* 107*
2. Jan Dhan Yojna brings banking to the poorest and enables direct transfer of funds for subsidies and other welfare programs. This is one of the best measures in quite a long time meant for direct benefit of the poor. Reduces delays and corruption. 167* 168* 169* 170* 171* 172* 173* 175*
3. Passport issue and re-issue process made much easier and faster. 110* 166*
4. More platforms for feedback about government departments and policies created. Emphasis on transparency in governance and grievance redressal mechanisms. 79* 124* 116* 119*
5. Steps taken to solve some employee issues related to Provident Fund, pensions and others. Lot more reforms still needed. 6* 18*
6. Swachh Bharat Mission despite problems is showing some results. 85% of population now has access to toilets, compared to around 40% at start of program. According to WHO, 3 lakhs deaths caused by diarrhea were averted between 2014 and 2019. A lot of public places like railway stations are much cleaner. 175 * 176* 177* 178* 179*
7. Ujwala Yojana, a scheme meant to eradicate use of polluting fuels like wood, coal, dung for cooking proves to be a good success. 5 crore new connections allotted ahead of target. 180* 181* 182* 183*
8. While many countries struggle with it, India implements strong net neutrality rules. 184* 185*
9. Multiple steps taken to improve conditions for farmers. Extra impetus on reducing malnutrition and increasing availability of nutritional food to citizens through various schemes. 186*, 187*, 188*, 189* 205* 206*
10. Excellent work so far by power ministry bringing even the remotest places in India on electricity grid. A number of villages which had remained outside the grid now have electricity. Additionally, electricity production and distribution is much better. India has a power surplus and is 3rd largest electricity producer in world. Most of issues still remaining are more often than not due to inefficient and corrupt state electricity corporations. Cheap LED bulbs help in reducing power consumption. 190*, 191* 192* 193* 194* 195* 196* 197* 198* 199* 200* 201* 202*
11. Much needed push for solar power with huge new solar power plants coming up. 203* 204*
12. Pace of road construction across the country has picked up substantially and it has been the highest till now. Many remote regions have new connectivity and existing highways in most regions have been upgraded, 207* to 232* 26 links
1. Inspite of all the schemes and subsidies, Indian agricultural sector suffers from various issues which will need a lot more work and better implementations. There has been no obvious solution of issues arising due to small size of land holdings, mimimum support prices and bureaucratic red tape.
2. Swach Bharat mission has been partially successful at best.
3. Implementation of digital measures meant to reduce red tape have had limited effect till now. Many people and govt departments remain unaware and disinterested in these changes.
If it was just the intention of projects mentioned here, this would be a full 10. But meaningful implementation of many of these projects is hampered by numerous factors like inefficient, corrupt bureaucracy, infinitely stupid and large population as well as mediocre planning. Some of these projects are longterm and the effects will be visible only after a certain amount of time.
FINAL SCORE: 6.6/10
If compared with UPA regime, this one is miles ahead in almost everything. But this is not a good enough standard to improve upon. There have been some good efforts from top, but on ground implementation has been good in only a few. Some of the long standing issues like reforms in bureaucracy, agriculture and a few other fields which will take more than just good intent and announcement of schemes.
1. Fear of Narendra Modi makes babus finalize plans in 24 hours http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Fear-of-Narendra-Modi-makes-babus-finalize-plans-in-24-hours/articleshow/36367492.cms
2. Working a 6-day week? No problem! Bureaucrats are loving Modi’s iron-fist http://www.firstbiz.com/corporate/working-6-day-week-problem-bureaucrats-loving-modis-iron-fist-87549.html
3. Investments to get push as Modi govt takes green clearances online http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Narendra-Modi-to-MPs-Ask-SC-to-fast-track-your-cases/articleshow/36405187.cms
4. PM Narendra Modi scraps 4 Cabinet Committees, including one on UIDAI http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-06-11/news/50478696_1_cabinet-panels-prime-minister-narendra-modi-cabinet-secretariat
5. Modi govt puts NGOs under scan following IB warning http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/modi-govt-puts-ngos-under-intense-scan-following-ib-warning/article1-1228881.aspx
6. Employees to get pension payment order on retirement day: Govt http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/pension-payment-order-jitendra-singh-37989.html
7. National acc wiil be-appointing authority for top officers http://www.jagran.com/news/national-acc-wiil-be-appointing-authority-for-top-officers-11391267.html?src=p1
8. Rajnath singh reviews citizens database scheme http://www.lensonnews.com/lensonnews/1/59/62099/1/rajnath-singh-reviews-citizens-database-scheme.html
9. Centre cracks the whip on NGOs, direct foreign funding put on hold http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/centre-cracks-the-whip-on-ngos-direct-foreign-funding-put-on-hold_940813.html
10. Government clears investment hurdles, gives go ahead to seven projects worth Rs 21,000 crore http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/infrastructure/government-clears-investment-hurdles-gives-go-ahead-to-seven-projects-worth-rs-21000-crore/articleshow/36847309.cms
11. Narendra Modi cracks the whip on ministers’ foreign travels http://www.financialexpress.com/news/narendra-modi-cracks-the-whip-on-ministers-foreign-travels/1262585
12. Forest ministry greenlights faster, simpler clearances; defence, roads get priority http://www.financialexpress.com/news/forest-ministry-greenlights-faster-simpler-clearances-defence-roads-get-priority/1262507
13. Modi austerity drive, no new cars for ministers, PMO to monitor spending http://ibnlive.in.com/news/modi-austerity-drive-no-new-cars-for-ministers-pmo-to-monitor-spending/481828-37-64.html
14. 3 satellite cities being planned for re-settlement of Kashmiri Pandits http://daily.bhaskar.com/news/NAT-TOP-3-satellites-cities-being-planned-for-re-settlement-of-kashmiri-pandits-4656258-NOR.html
15. Thirty days in office, Narendra Modi-led NDA working to keep promises http://www.financialexpress.com/news/thirty-days-in-office-narendra-modiled-nda-working-to-keep-promises/1264309
16. Narendra Modi government to club three social security schemes http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/narendra-modi-government-to-club-three-social-security-schemes/articleshow/37285706.cms
17. Rajnath Singh sets a 3-yr deadline for NPR rollout, link to voter ID likely http://indianexpress.com/article/india/politics/3-yr-deadline-for-npr-rollout-link-to-voter-id-likely/
18. Register online, get provident fund code within hours http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/savings-centre/savings-news/register-online-get-provident-fund-code-within-hours/articleshow/37555385.cms
19. 660 Nirbhaya Centres for women violence victims http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2014/jul/03/660-nirbhaya-centres-for-women-violence-victims/647b60d7f8c4149a28b9d8ccfafa18c9
20. Passport delivery to become hassle-free, no police verification in case of renewal http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Passport-delivery-to-become-hassle-free-no-police-verification-in-case-of-renewal/articleshow/37724655.cms
21. ‘No relevance’, Centre asks UN mission to vacate Delhi office http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/no-relevance-centre-asks-un-mission-to-vacate-delhi-office/
22. New advisory to end ‘inspector raj’ http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/New-advisory-to-end-inspector-raj/articleshow/38036699.cms
23. Centre to shield businesses from dreaded ‘inspector raj’ with new system http://www.financialexpress.com/news/centre-to-shield-businesses-from-dreaded-inspector-raj-with-new-system/1270288
24. Railways’ ‘silent killers’: Now, trains won’t stop at ‘MP stops’ http://www.financialexpress.com/news/trains-now-won-t-stop-at-mp-stops/1270285
25. Managing of PM Relief Fund to be modelled on Gujarat scheme http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/managing-of-pm-relief-fund-to-be-modelled-on-gujarat-scheme/
26. Fear and foreboding in South Block http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/nation/fear-and-foreboding-in-south-block
27. Government proposes changes in BIS to ensure product quality, withdrawal of substandard goods http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/government-proposes-changes-in-bis-to-ensure-product-quality-withdrawal-of-substandard-goods/articleshow/38826859.cms
28. Narendra Modi government’s small reforms with big impact http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/narendra-modi-governments-small-reforms-with-big-impact/articleshow/38885465.cms
29. For the first time in the history, IAS officers sacked in disproportionate assets case http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/arvind-joshi-ias-officer-sacked-in-disproportionate-assets-case–39518.html
30. Centre clears revised norms for new airport bids in record time http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Centre-clears-revised-norms-for-new-airport-bids-in-record-time/articleshow/38881132.cms
31. PM launches unique web platform to get citizens’ ideas for governance http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/PM-launches-unique-web-platform-to-get-citizens-ideas-for-governance/articleshow/39041211.cms
32. Govt dissolves Khadi commission http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/govt-dissolves-khadi-commission/article6254888.ece
33. Narendra Modi government asks ‘Babus’ to declare assets on or before September 15 http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/govt-asks-babus-to-declare-assets-by-september-15–39747.html
34. Army Happy With ‘Quick’ Govt http://www.newindianexpress.com/thesundaystandard/Army-Happy-With-‘Quick’-Govt/2014/07/27/article2350296.ece
35. Modi Cabinet clears labour reform Bills http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/modi-cabinet-clears-labour-reform-bills-114073100236_1.html
36. How Achche Din dawned for Std XI and XII students in Baramulla http://www.rediff.com/news/special/special-how-achche-din-dawned-for-std-xi-and-xii-students-in-baramulla/20140731.htm
37. Madhya Pradesh govt rehabs Bangla non-Muslims http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Madhya-Pradesh-govt-rehabs-Bangla-non-Muslims/articleshow/39326264.cms
38. Winds of change: Productivity of Lok Sabha climbs to 103% http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Winds-of-change-Productivity-of-Lok-Sabha-climbs-to-103/articleshow/39440615.cms
39. Government tells states to build detention centers for illegal Bangladeshis http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-government-tells-states-to-build-detention-centers-for-illegal-bangladeshis-2007991
40. Cabinet clears amendments to Juvenile Justice Act paving way for harsher punishment http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Cabinet-clears-amendments-to-Juvenile-Justice-Act-paving-way-for-harsher-punishment/articleshow/39767899.cms
41. Cabinet approves bill for judicial appointment body http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Cabinet-approves-bill-for-judicial-appointment-body/articleshow/39773831.cms
42. Administration Govt prepares bill to repeal 36 archaic laws http://news.oneindia.in/india/govt-prepares-bill-to-repeal-36-archaic-laws-1499231.html Administration
43. 13 reasons to cheer Modi sarkar’s first Parliament session http://www.rediff.com/news/report/reasons-to-cheer-modi-sarkar-first-parliament-session/20140814.htm
44. 10 things that the Modi government is doing right http://www.rediff.com/news/special/10-things-that-the-modi-government-is-doing-right/20140813.htm
45. Budget session productivity hits a high of 104% http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Budget-session-productivity-hits-a-high-of-104/articleshow/40296076.cms
46. Bid to improve investment climate http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140817/jsp/business/story_18728366.jsp#.U_AUcWOwT5c
47. Marriage registrations to go online from next month http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Marriage-registrations-to-go-online-from-next-month/articleshow/40319783.cms
48. New norms soon for PSU bank directors; CMD post to be split http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/New-norms-soon-for-PSU-bank-directors-CMD-post-to-be-split/articleshow/40353924.cms
49. National Investigation Agency ropes in Indian Statistical Institute for study on fake currency notes http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-08-17/news/52901475_1_ficn-fake-currency-notes-currency-cell
50. 1 lakh per school to cover 10,000 schools. http://www.tcs.com/news_events/press_releases/Pages/TCS-PM-Clean-India-Initiative.aspx
51. INDIA MODI-fied: Volume-3; The First Propulsion http://www.indianotes.com/uploads/article_pdf/2014/MotilalOswal_Modified_19August_2014.pdf
52. IRCTC to soon offer cash on delivery for rail tickets http://firstbiz.firstpost.com/economy/wow-irctc-to-soon-offer-cash-on-delivery-for-rail-tickets-94452.html
53. 100-day delivery: Modi ready with infra report card http://m.moneycontrol.com/news/economy/100-day-delivery-modi-readyinfra-report-card_1164101.html
54. PM Modi sets up committee to identify ‘obsolete’ laws Manifesto http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/narendra-modi-sets-up-committee-to-identify-obsolete-laws/1/379398.html Administration
55. .भारत (.Bharat) top-level domain launched http://ibnlive.in.com/news/-bharat-toplevel-domain-launched/494798-11.html
56. PM Modi’s big plan: Get education, medical & birth records online in a digital locker http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-08-29/news/53362935_1_prime-minister-narendra-modi-suggestions-government-offices
57. Buoyed by PM Modi’s election win, economy set to clock highest growth in 2 years http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-08-29/news/53362744_1_pm-modi-low-growth-gdp
58. 100 DAYS – A report card http://i.imgur.com/kByr5OK.jpg
59. Job creation to inspector raj, government did its work http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/job-creation-to-inspector-raj-government-did-its-work/
60. Right and Radical The understated revolution of Prime Minister Narendra Modi http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/nation/right-and-radical
61. Modi gets Lutyens’ bungalows vacated in three months http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/modi-gets-lutyens-bungalows-vacated-in-three-months/article1-1261088.aspx
62. Soon, single RTO visit will be sufficient http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Soon-single-RTO-visit-will-be-sufficient/articleshow/41909687.cms Modi effect?
63. Favouritism in govt decisions down, India improves global rank Modi effect? https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Favouritism-in-govt-decisions-down-India-improves-global-rank/articleshow/41935552.cms
64. Jammu and Kashmir floods: Narendra Modi deploys successful Google app to find people http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-jammu-and-kashmir-floods-narendra-modi-deploys-successful-google-app-to-find-people-2017385
65. Power, water supplies snapped in houses of Ajit Singh, Azharuddin http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=263134
66. Modi government promotes self attestation of documents http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-08-02/news/52356466_1_affidavits-pm-narendra-modi-pmo
67. Non-essential drugs: NPPA withdraws price control order http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/nonessential-drugs-nppa-withdraws-price-control-order/article6439154.ece
68. Attendance.gov.in: Modi government launches website to track attendance of government employees http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-10-07/news/54735540_1_biometric-attendance-system-government-employees-attendance-records
69. Center launches Air Quality Index http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/centre-launches-index-to-measure-air-quality/articleshow/44866324.cms
70. Narendra Modi government takes RTI to another level: All replies to be put online http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/narendra-modi-government-takes-rti-to-another-level-all-replies-to-be-put-online/articleshow/44898219.cms
71. Modi government cancels golf memberships for bureaucrats http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150129/nation-current-affairs/article/modi-government-cancels-golf-memberships-bureaucrats
72. Narendra Modi Cabinet to cut paper trail, go Kindle http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/narendra-modi-cabinet-to-cut-paper-trail-go-kindle/43358/
73. What triggered the crackdown http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/TOI-exclusive-on-corporate-espionage-What-triggered-the-crackdown/articleshow/46318191.cms
74. When an “Aam Aadmi” exposed Journalist Mihir S Sharma http://www.opindia.com/2015/02/when-an-aam-aadmi-exposed-journalist-mihir-s-sharma/
75. Top-level corruption’s down in Modi govt, fingers crossed: India Inc http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Top-level-corruptions-down-in-Modi-govt-fingers-crossed-India-Inc/articleshow/46328407.cms
76. Indian Railways launches country’s first customer complaint mobile app (IT) http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/railways-launches-indias-first-customer-complaint-mobile-app/1/421909.html
77. Mispricing exports, imports may land you in jail for 7 years http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Mispricing-exports-imports-may-land-you-in-jail-for-7-years/articleshow/46465386.cms
78. Operation Smile: Rajnath Singh’s push helps recover 2500 missing children http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/46598821.cms
79. PM launches multi-purpose and multi-modal platform PRAGATI (Pro-Active Governance And Timely Implementation) http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=117702
80. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves innovative mechanism for utilization of stranded gas based generation capacity http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=117698
81. Formation of SPV to provide efficient rail evacuation systems to Major Ports http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=117694
82. Modi led NDA govt bypasses bid route, PGCIL to develop 20K MW green corridor http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/narendra-modi-led-nda-govt-bypasses-bid-route-pgcil-to-develop-20k-mw-green-corridor/57520/?
83. Reclaim your inoperative EPFO a/c money http://www.business-standard.com/article/pf/reclaim-your-inoperative-epfo-a-c-money-115032600231_1.html
84. Judicial reform proposals: Litigations to end in 3 to 5 years, summons to be sent by email http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-01-08/news/57838245_1_top-judges-high-courts-chief-justices-conference
85. In Big Relief for Farmers, PM Modi Announces More Compensation for Crop Damage http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/in-big-relief-for-farmers-pm-modi-announces-more-compensation-for-crop-damage-753168?site=full
86. Home Ministry freezes all 7 bank accounts of Greenpeace India http://ibnlive.in.com/news/home-ministry-freezes-all-7-bank-accounts-of-greenpeace-india/538849-3.html
87. LPG cash transfer plan takes commercial cylinder sales up http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-04-13/news/61102830_1_lpg-cylinders-auto-lpg-dbtl
88. PM Modi launches PRAGATI platform for redressal of grievances (DNA) http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-pm-modi-launches-pragati-platform-for-redressal-of-grievances-2071960
89. Ford Foundation put under MHA watch list in “national interest and security” of India http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-04-24/news/61493635_1_home-ministry-ford-foundation-watch-list
90. NaMo’s healing touch to Farmers – Direct Deposit of Relief to Jan Dhan Accounts http://www.niticentral.com/2015/04/22/compensate-farmers-jan-dhan-yojana-accounts-310605.html
91. Govt cancels licences of 8,975 NGOs for failing to file annual returns http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Govt-cancels-licences-of-8975-NGOs-for-failing-to-file-annual-returns/articleshow/47075077.cms?
92. Bharat Mala: PM Narendra Modi’s planned Rs 14,000 crore road from Gujarat to Mizoram (ET) http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-04-29/news/61652753_1_crore-road-road-connectivity-road-network
93. Cabinet clears stronger anti-corruption Act http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/cabinet-clears-amendments-to-anticorruption-act/article7154111.ece?homepage=true
94. Prime Minister to Launch Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) AND The Atal Pension Yojana (APY) on 9th May 2015 at Kolkata http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=120041
95. Narendra Modi government eases incorporation of business, process to take just 1 form starting today http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/47116318.cms
96. Forest fund gets Rs 38,000 crore boost http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/environment/flora-fauna/forest-fund-gets-rs-38000-crore-boost/articleshow/47102196.cms
97. India is in a much better place after one year of Modi rule http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com/Myth-n-Reality/india-is-in-a-much-better-place-after-one-year-of-modi-rule/
98. One Year Later, India In Better Shape Under Modi http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/05/03/one-year-later-india-in-better-shape-under-modi/
99. One year of Modi government: A look at what does India Inc think http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/one-year-of-modi-government-a-look-at-what-does-india-inc-think/articleshow/47155459.cms
100. Entire Machinery of Indian Railways Geared up for Implementation Work http://www.orissadiary.com/CurrentNews.asp?id=59098
101. Govt goes after D-gang properties, to approach agencies abroad http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Govt-goes-after-D-gang-properties-to-approach-agencies-abroad/articleshow/47335585.cms
102. Black Money Bill with more teeth gets Rajya Sabha approval http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/black-money-bill-with-more-teeth-gets-rajya-sabha-approval/article7202317.ece
103. Switzerland begins naming Indians, foreigners being probed at home for tax evasion http://www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/swiss-begins-naming-indians-others-being-probed-at-home/article1-1351161.aspx
104. Narendra Modi government booted out 460 leaders from Lutyens bungalows http://www.abplive.in/india/2015/06/06/article610140.ece/Narendra-Modi-government-Lutyens-bungalows-Venkaiah-Naidu-nda-government
105. How the PM dismantled the transfer-posting industry http://www.dailyo.in/politics/modi1-narendra-modi-bureaucracy-ias-pk-mishra-upa-pmo-indian-railways-suresh-prabhu/story/1/4186.html
106. Meet India’s chief human resources officer http://www.rediff.com/getahead/report/specials-meet-indias-chief-human-resources-officer/20150611.htm
107. Live paperless; keep sensitive data, documents safe in DigiLocker http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/savings-centre/analysis/live-paperless-keep-sensitive-data-documents-safe-in-digilocker/articleshow/47609731.cms
108. With 1500 squatters kicked out from Lutyens bungalows, it might explain why its always Modi vs All http://www.opindia.com/2018/02/with-1500-squatters-kicked-out-from-lutyens-bungalows-it-might-explain-why-its-always-modi-vs-all/
109 Govt pushes squatters out of Lutyens Bungalow Zone, only 4 left https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/govt-pushes-squatters-out-of-lutyens-bungalow-zone-only-4-left/story-JrSIsyfhmkeHK1YVgKQMMM.html
110. Police verification no longer required for reissue of passports: Govt http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/police-verification-no-longer-required-for-reissue-of-passports-govt/
111. Govt’s ultimatum to road developers: Perform or perish http://www.financialexpress.com/article/india-news/govts-ultimatum-to-road-developers-perform-or-perish/181570/
112. 2,200 corrupt govt officials identified in 2015, CBI says http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/2200-corrupt-govt-officials-identified-in-2015-CBI-says/articleshow/51032131.cms
113. Narendra Modi government evicts record number of illegal occupants from Lutyens Delhi http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/narendra-modi-government-evicts-record-number-of-illegal-occupants-from-lutyens-delhi/articleshow/51329453.cms
114. Parrikar finds $3 bn lying forgotten in US account http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/parrikar-finds-3-bn-lying-forgotten-in-us-account-116030500049_1.html
115. India denies visas to US religious freedom body http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/india-denies-visas-to-us-religious-freedom-body/articleshow/51248712.cms
116. FCI goes online, links 30 godowns in 1st phase http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/51443357.cms
117. Big reform: Modi government plans to redeploy bureaucrats and reduce patronage postings http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/big-reform-modi-government-plans-to-redeploy-bureaucrats-and-reduce-patronage-postings/articleshow/51504060.cms
118. 15 customs and central excise personnel fired: Sacking signals crackdown on laggards http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/51676177.cms
119. Modi government makes 8 lakh calls in 10 days to check success of four big schemes http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/51691671.cms
120. The biggest ever fire sale of Indian corporate assets has begun, to tide over bad loans crisis http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/the-biggestever-fire-sale-of-indian-corporate-assets-has-begun-to-tide-over-bad-loans-crisis/article8573163.ece?homepage=true
121. Blackmoney: Govt unearths indirect tax evasion of Rs 50,000 crore in two years http://indianexpress.com/article/business/economy/blackmoney-govt-unearths-indirect-tax-evasion-of-rs-50000-crore-in-two-years-2793085/
122. The Mauritius Loophole: The Story Of Its Origin And How India Finally Managed To Shut It http://swarajyamag.com/economy/the-mauritius-loophole-the-story-of-its-origin-and-how-india-finally-managed-to-shut-it Infrastructure
123. Rs. 43,000 Crore In Black Money Recovered In 2 Years: Revenue Secretary http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rs-43-000-crore-in-black-money-recovered-in-2-years-revenue-secretary-1427078
124. Why PM Modi called this Tripura IAS officer at 10pm http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Why-PM-Modi-called-this-Tripura-IAS-officer-at-10pm/articleshow/53908586.cms
125. PM Narendra Modi’s Cleanliness Drive Frees Up Space For 50 In His Office http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-modis-cleanliness-drive-in-his-office-frees-up-space-for-50-people-1287549?pfrom=home-lateststories
126. Ford Foundation-govt stand-off ends as NGO agrees to come under Fema http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Ford-Foundation-govt-stand-off-ends-as-NGO-agrees-to-come-under-Fema/articleshow/48092013.cms?from=mdr
127. Home Ministry freezes all 7 bank accounts of Greenpeace India http://ibnlive.in.com/news/home-ministry-freezes-all-7-bank-accounts-of-greenpeace-india/538849-3.html
128. Govt to net Rs 10,000 crore from Swiss bank accounts by March-end: SIT http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Govt-to-net-Rs-10k-cr-by-March-end-from-Swiss-account-holders-SIT/articleshow/46180794.cms
129. Swiss banks up black money vigil as India threatens criminal action http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/46812758.cms
130. CBI raids P Chidambaram and son Karti’s residence in Chennai; Congress calls it political vendetta by BJP http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-cbi-raids-former-union-minister-p-chidambaram-s-residence-in-chennai-2439731
131. Banking scam has UPA era roots http://www.sundayguardianlive.com/news/12894-banking-scam-has-upa-era-roots
132. Modi Govt @ 4: How the Dread of Deadlines Revamped Sarkaari Offices https://www.news18.com/news/india/modi-govt-4-how-the-dread-of-deadlines-revamped-sarkaari-offices-1760253.html
133. Private Sector Professionals Can Be Bureaucrats, 10 Senior Posts Open https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/lateral-entry-to-bureaucracy-a-reality-with-openings-in-10-ministries-1865251
134. Alternative to IAS? Modi govt opens lateral entry for professionals as Joint Secretaries; details here https://www.financialexpress.com/jobs/alternative-to-ias-modi-govt-opens-lateral-entry-for-professionals-as-joint-secretaries-details-here/1200499/
135. Lateral Entry: Landmark step by Modi govt to equip bureaucracy for challenges and opportunities http://www.opindia.com/2018/06/lateral-entry-landmark-step-by-modi-govt-to-equip-bureaucracy-for-challenges-and-opportunities/
136. Nirav Modi scam: PNB, Allahabad Bank boards may decide on further action against EDs, MD https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/nirav-modi-scam-pnb-allahabad-bank-boards-may-decide-on-further-action-against-eds-md/articleshow/65091642.cms
137. Fraud-hit PNB’s bad loan recovery of over Rs 7,700 cr in first quarter tops FY18 level, says bank official https://www.firstpost.com/business/fraud-hit-pnbs-bad-loan-recovery-of-over-rs-7700-cr-in-first-quarter-tops-fy18-level-says-bank-official-4750081.html
138. ED chargesheet against Sterling Biotech director in bank loan fraud case https://www.livemint.com/Companies/q0JDUNPwkziERkRKYJVjhM/ED-chargesheet-against-Sterling-Biotech-director-in-bank-loa.html PNB
139. Fraud: CBI arrests Nirav Modi’s associates from Ajmer https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/pnb-fraud-cbi-arrests-nirav-modis-associates-from-ajmer/videoshow/64940649.cms
140. Vijay Mallya’s lenders secure UK court win in bid to recover dues https://www.livemint.com/Companies/Umn3ZSofRP0j1A1qsr7SrJ/Vijay-Mallyas-London-house-can-be-searched-says-UK-High-Co.html
141. Government charts plan to stop loan defaulters from taking flight http:////economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/65027158.cms
142. Lalu gets 14 yrs in jail in fodder scam: You reap what you sow, says BJP https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/fodder-scam-lalu-prasad-gets-7-yrs-in-jail-in-dumka-treasury-case-updates-118032400183_1.html
143. What The SC Said About Jayalalithaa: She Was The Source Of Funds For Shell Companies https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/what-the-sc-said-about-jayalalithaa-she-was-the-source-of-funds-for-shell-compan/297959
144. Chidambaram Now an Accused in Aircel Maxis Case, Says CBI Pressured to Make Preposterous Charges https://in.news.yahoo.com/cbi-names-p-chidambaram-son-110944958.html
145. India orders all Mother Teresa care homes inspected https://sg.news.yahoo.com/india-orders-mother-teresa-care-homes-inspected-041358722.html
146. पनामा पेपर्स: 1140 करोड़ रुपए की अघोषित संपत्ति मिली, 16 भारतीयों पर मुकदमा दर्ज http://zeenews.india.com/hindi/india/government-files-cases-against-16-indians-in-panama-paper-leak/418717
147. Rs 100-cr cash, 90-kg bullion recovered after I-T raids on Tamil Nadu contracting firm https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/rs-100-cr-cash-90-kg-bullion-recovered-after-i-t-raids-on-tamil-nadu-contracting-firm/story-wCgEuw6TVj2TKnnSAV7R7J.html
148. Panama Papers: Income Tax Raids Several Locations In Delhi-NCR https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/panama-papers-income-tax-raids-several-locations-in-delhi-ncr-1781218
149. DK Shivakumar Case: Income Tax Department Conducts Raids At 10 Locations https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dk-shivakumar-case-income-tax-department-conducts-raids-at-10-locations-1743908
150. I-T raids on TN Health Minister, others yield Rs 4.5 crore http://zeenews.india.com/tamil-nadu/i-t-raids-on-tn-health-minister-others-yield-rs-4-5-crore-1993963.html
151. Rs 3-4 lakh crore of evaded income deposited in banks post demonetisation http://zeenews.india.com/personal-finance/rs-3-4-lakh-crore-of-evaded-income-deposited-in-banks-post-demonetisation_1965941.html
152. Demonetisation: Income Tax department seizes Rs 3,185 crore black money, Rs 86 crore in new notes http://zeenews.india.com/personal-finance/demonetisation-income-tax-department-seizes-rs-3185-crore-black-money-rs-86-crore-in-new-notes_1960216.html
153. Massive IT raids across country: New, old currency seized in Bengaluru, Panjim, Faridabad, 4 arrested http://zeenews.india.com/economy/series-of-it-raids-across-country-new-old-currency-seized-in-bengaluru-panjim-faridabad_1958257.html
154. Ease of Doing Business rankings: India makes highest-ever jump to rank 100 out of 190 countrie https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/ease-of-doing-business-rankings-india-rank-world-bank-100/story/262976.html
155. How Insolvency And Bankruptcy Reforms Are Helping Clean Up The NPA Mess https://swarajyamag.com/economy/how-insolvency-and-bankruptcy-reforms-are-helping-clean-up-the-npa-mess
156. Govt eyes bankruptcy reform to ease decades of gridlock http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/govt-eyes-bankruptcy-reform-to-ease-decades-of-gridlock-115103000503_1.html
157. Six-month limit likely to declare firms bankrupt http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/six-month-limit-likely-to-declare-firms-bankrupt-115110401431_1.html
158. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code has begun to transform the Indian NPA resolution process and its credit culture https://medium.com/@Anavrta/the-insolvency-and-bankruptcy-code-has-begun-to-transform-the-indian-debt-resolution-process-and-a4b4d67b1e9d
159. Narendra Modi govt set to unleash major labour reforms push http://www.financialexpress.com/economy/narendra-modi-govt-set-to-unleash-major-labour-reforms-push/577741/
160. FDI tide turns in India’s favour http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/portfolio/macro-view/fdi-tide-turns-in-indias-favour/article8573044.ece
161. List of Income Tax raids in Dec 2016 after demonetisation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRovmVA_9x7NoyJHFLFZ7pA1Mi7gUYB6_OuGHgQA0pFLc9qQ1xTGMClqpGrudmZJ7YrBcg1n-VguZBi/pubhtml?gid=1658058173&single=true
162. ‘No Question, Only Thanks’: Opposition Praise For Sushma Swaraj http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/no-question-only-thanks-opposition-praise-for-sushma-swaraj-1285367
163. 1,159 obsolete laws scrapped by Modi govt; 1,301 junked in previous 64 years https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/1159-obsolete-laws-scrapped-by-Modi-govt-1301-junked-in-previous-64-years/articleshow/52333875.cms
164. Goodbye, old laws: Modi government scraps 1,200 redundant Acts, 1,824 more identified for repeal https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-today/story/narendra-modi-law-ministry-ravi-shankar-prasad-984025-2017-06-22
165. Section 377: Government leaves decision to the wisdom of the Supreme Court https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/section-377-government-leaves-decision-on-the-wisdom-of-the-supreme-court/articleshow/64942825.cms
166. Mind-boggling! Passport Seva mobile app downloaded a million times within two days http://www.dnaindia.com/business/report-mind-boggling-passport-seva-mobile-app-downloaded-a-million-times-within-two-days-2630989
167. NDA’s ambitious financial inclusion plan Jan Dhan Yojana launched, claims to benefit 1 crore on Day 1 Manifesto http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ndas-ambitious-financial-inclusion-plan-jan-dhan-yojana-launched-claims-to-benefit-1-crore-on-day-1/494861-3.html
168. NaMo’s healing touch to Farmers – Direct Deposit of Relief to Jan Dhan Accounts http://www.niticentral.com/2015/04/22/compensate-farmers-jan-dhan-yojana-accounts-310605.html
169. Jan Dhan scheme: LPG subsidy transfer sees zero-balance a/cs drop below 50% http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/banking/jan-dhan-scheme-lpg-subsidy-transfer-sees-zerobalance-acs-drop-below-50/article7522914.ece
170. PMJDY zero balance accounts have fallen below 40% now, from the original high of almost 80 http://www.business-standard.com/article/finance/jan-dhan-deposits-exceed-rs-25k-cr-115101400059_1.html
171. Polavaram is reaping the Jan Dhan benefit http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/specials/india-file/polavaram-is-reaping-the-jan-dhan-benefit/article8241246.ece?homepage=true
172. Jan Dhan Yojana 5.37 crore bank a/cs. Deposits grow from Rs 4.27 lakh to Rs 27,000 crore in a year http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/jan-dhan-yojana-5-37-crore-bank-a/cs-deposits-grow-from-rs-4-27-lakh-to-rs-27000-crore-in-a-year/articleshow/49848125.cms
173. Deposits in Jan Dhan accounts cross Rs 30,000 cr http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/deposits-in-jan-dhan-accounts-cross-rs-30-000-cr-116012201019_1.html
174. Why Jan-Dhan Yojana is gaining currency in Uttar Pradesh & West Bengal http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/why-jan-dhan-yojana-is-gaining-currency-in-uttar-pradesh-west-bengal-116052600920_1.html
175. Swachh Bharat Mission: A remarkable transformation https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/T6KY7kJw2ZYYWzChGxJLkJ/Swachh-Bharat-Mission-a-remarkable-transformation.html
176. Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) Would Result In Averting More Than 3 Lakh Deaths By October 2019, Says WHO https://swachhindia.ndtv.com/swachh-bharat-abhiyan-gramin-avert-three-lakh-deaths-who-report-23667/
177. Swachh Bharat offers a bonanza for India Inc https://www.livemint.com/Politics/OVNcyjgJG0iJ817eoeKd2M/Swachh-Bharat-offers-a-bonanza-for-India-Inc.html
178. Swachh Bharat mission: World’s largest toilet-building initiative drives sales of sanitaryware, hygiene products https://in.news.yahoo.com/swachh-bharat-mission-world-apos-071027923.html
179. Sanitation coverage in rural India under Swachh Bharat rises to 85% https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/sanitation-coverage-in-rural-india-under-swachh-bharat-rises-to-85/articleshow/64512145.cms
180. समय से पहले सरकार ने पूरा किया उज्ज्वला का लक्ष्य, सुमित्रा महाजन ने सौंपा 5 करोड़वां कनेक्शन https://www.jagran.com/politics/national-modi-government-completed-five-million-connections-under-pradhan-mantri-ujjwala-yojana-before-deadline-18274299.html
181. 5 cr free gas connections target completed before deadline: Pradhan https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/5-cr-free-gas-connections-target-completed-before-deadline-pradhan/videoshow/65259051.cms
182. Ground Report: Ujjwala Yojana shows the clean way in Hingoli http://www.ddinews.gov.in/four-years-modi-government/ground-report-ujjwala-yojana-shhows-clean-way-hingoli
183. A Total Of 1.17 crore LPG Connections Released Under PMUY This Fiscal https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-cm/a-total-of-1-17-crore-lpg-connections-released-under-pmuy-this-fiscal-118072400180_1.html
184. India approved strong net neutrality rules https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/11/india-approved-strong-net-neutrality-rules/
185. A welcome move: On India’s net neutrality regulations https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/a-welcome-move/article24427683.ece
186. Centre to introduce fortified rations in 118 target districts https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/centre-to-introduce-fortified-rations-in-118-target-districts/story-8QvAXD30COSR4KWwYh24KO.html
187. Millet Mission to promote nutrient-rich cereals; ₹800-crore outlay on the cards https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/agri-business/millet-mission-to-promote-nutrientrich-cereals-800crore-outlay-on-the-cards/article10046663.ece
188. 11 farm schemes, with over ₹33,000-cr outlay, merged https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/policy/11-farm-schemes-with-over-33000-cr-outlay-merged/article23752029.ece
189. Rs 33,000 crore boost to agriculture: Here’s how Modi plans to double farmers’ income by 2022 https://www.financialexpress.com/economy/rs-33000-crore-boost-to-agriculture-heres-how-modi-plans-to-double-farmers-income-by-2022/1154180/
190. Power capacity addition at record 22,566 MW in past 1 year: Goyal http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/power-capacity-addition-at-record-22566-mw-in-past-1-year-goyal/article7251109.ece
191. How government’s LED bulb push is helping save Rs 2.71 crore every day http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/49367147.cms?from=mdr&utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
192. LED lamps light Irulanchandai village http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/puducherry/led-lamps-light-irulanchandai-village/article7982311.ece
193. Work in 1/3rd of unelectrified 18,000 villages over: Piyush Goyal http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/50870954.cms?from=mdr
194. How Narendra Modi is getting India to save on electricity http://qz.com/658890/how-narendra-modi-is-getting-india-to-save-on-electricity/
195. For the first time in history, India will not have power deficit situation in FY17 http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/energy/power/for-the-first-time-in-history-india-will-not-have-power-deficit-situation-in-fy17/articleshow/52562666.cms
196. Prices of LED bulbs drop to Rs 38 http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/energy/power/prices-of-led-bulbs-drop-to-rs-38/articleshow/54326721.cms?prtpage=1
197.States sell Rs 100,000 cr of electricity bonds in first 3 weeks: Goyal http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/states-sell-rs-1-trn-of-seb-bonds-in-first-3-weeks-goyal-116050700723_1.html
198. Powering a transformation in India: Here is how to deliver 24/7 affordable power in every household http://www.financialexpress.com/opinion/powering-a-transformation-in-india-here-is-how-to-deliver-247-affordable-power-in-every-household/825664/
199. Inside India’s epic effort to bring electricity to millions of people for the first time http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-india-electricity-2017-htmlstory.html
200. India is now the world’s third-largest electricity producer https://qz.com/1237203/india-is-now-the-worlds-third-largest-electricity-producer/
201. The welfare effects of rural electrification https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/ZQZyfQhcZMBfmxCDLZ3bWI/The-welfare-effects-of-rural-electrification.html
202. The Great Construction Boom http://businessworld.in/article/The-Great-Construction-Boom/04-04-2018-145332/#.Wtwciiy204U.twitter
203. The biggest solar parks in the world are now being built in India http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-india-solar-20180319-story.html
204. Five of the world’s top 10 solar parks are coming up in India, says report https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/five-of-the-worlds-top-10-solar-parks-are-coming-up-in-india-says-report/article23962259.ece
205. 100% Neem Coating of Urea improves Soil Health, boosts Yields and curbs Diversion: DACFW Study http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=159903
206. Centre unveils faster-maturing pulses variety http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/centre-unveils-faster-maturing-pulses-variety-116103100895_1.html
207. Amid China Standoff, India Hits Pedal on Border Road Construction After Delay https://sputniknews.com/asia/201708021056101593-india-road-construction/
208. Forest ministry greenlights faster, simpler clearances; defence, roads get priority http://www.financialexpress.com/news/forest-ministry-greenlights-faster-simpler-clearances-defence-roads-get-priority/1262507
209. Road Min approves over Rs 40,000 crore highway projects http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/road-min-approves-over-rs-40000-crore-highway-projects-396
210.Gadkari zips on development flyway http://www.dailypioneer.com/todays-newspaper/gadkari-zips-on-development-flyway.html
211. No toll for projects under construction http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/No-toll-for-projects-under-construction/articleshow/40298603.cms
212. Bharat Mala: PM Narendra Modi’s planned Rs 14,000 crore road from Gujarat to Mizoram (ET) http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-04-29/news/61652753_1_crore-road-road-connectivity-road-network
213. Centre to develop 15,000 km of national highway at Rs 1.9 lakh crore http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/infrastructure/centre-to-develop-15000-km-of-national-highway-at-rs-1-9-lakh-crore/articleshow/48329569.cms
214. Government to upgrade eight National Highways to world class express highways http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/infrastructure/government-to-upgrade-eight-national-highways-to-world-class-express-highways/articleshow/48377152.cms
215. Govt’s ultimatum to road developers: Perform or perish http://www.financialexpress.com/article/india-news/govts-ultimatum-to-road-developers-perform-or-perish/181570/
216. In 2015-16, record 6,029km of highways constructed http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/In-2015-16-record-6029km-of-highways-constructed/articleshow/51771190.cms
217. Road construction picks up 36% this year http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/road-construction-picks-up-36-this-year-115102200552_1.html
218. Once a month, PM Narendra Modi steps in to revive stalled projects http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/once-a-month-pm-narendra-modi-steps-in-to-revive-stalled-projects/articleshow/49589611.cms
219. Nitin Gadkari announces Rs 10,000 crore projects for Nagaland http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/good-governance/centre/Nitin-Gadkari-announces-Rs-10000-crore-projects-for-Nagaland/articleshow/49649298.cms?
220. Infrastructure development top priority: PM http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/infra-development-top-priority-rs-4l-cr-stuck-projs-rolled-pm-115110501060_1.html
221. Surge in award of projects puts road construction in top gear http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/surge-in-award-of-projects-puts-road-construction-in-top-gear/168125/
222. Roads lead the way in government spending http://www.livemint.com/Money/IosQdBmxtMaOCg5cc11F3L/Roads-lead-the-way-in-government-spending.html
223. Govt gives ultimatum to road developers on stalled projects http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/govt-s-ultimatum-to-road-developers-perform-or-perish-115122000172_1.html
224. As Modi Triples Spending, India Road Stocks Cheer With 73% Rally https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-02/as-modi-triples-spending-india-road-stocks-cheer-with-73-rally
225. Govt approves Rs 34,000-cr road projects in Feb; Rs 6k-cr today http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/govt-approves-rs-34000-cr-road-projects-in-feb-rs-6k-cr-today/213919/
226. Land acquisition pace up after enhanced compensation: Nitin Gadkari http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/land-acquisition-pace-up-after-enhanced-compensation-nitin-gadkari/articleshow/51094377.cms
227. Center sets up dedicated funding agency for roads, ports http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/centre-paves-way-to-fund-roads-ports/247956/
228. India built 2,979 km of highways in quarter; govt optimistic on achieving target http://www.financialexpress.com/economy/road-building-projects-india-built-2979-km-of-highways-in-quarter-govt-optimistic-on-achieving-target/433308/
229. Nitin Gadkari keen to achieve 40 km a day road construction target http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/nitin-gadkari-keen-to-achieve-40-km-a-day-road-construction-target-117040501182_1.html
230. NDA beats UPA, rolls out roads faster http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/nda-beats-upa-rolls-out-roads-faster/articleshow/58709063.cms
231. India Is Building New Roads at a Breakneck Pace https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-28/breakneck-pace-of-india-road-awards-may-set-15-billion-record
232. Roads to all China border posts soon, says Rajnath Singh https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/roads-to-all-china-border-posts-soon-says-rajnath-singh/articleshow/62330709.cms
I’ve always been interested in Indian defence issues, so this is the first article in this series. Most of data and other posts in this series are indexed here.
To be honest, almost anyone apart from regime which had a sloth like AK Antony is an improvement for Indian defence needs. Almost every aspect of Indian defence sector ranging from acquisitions, research, management, border issues suffered immeasurably under UPA government. There were huge bribery scandals, no arms, ammunition, lots of acrimony involving defence personnel and further strengthening of perception of India as a soft state. To list all of those scams, most of them going in to hundreds of crores each will require a whole book, so not listing those here. On the other hand, NDA government has done some really good work under guidance of Manohar Parrikar and Nirmala Sitaraman There have been some long pending reforms and good actions in a short amount of time. Another good thing so far is that there have been no bribery scandals or slowdown in process due to fear of it which were the norm in previous regimes.
Akash surface to air missile
A. Defence Manufacturing and Acquisition
Defence manufacturing has been a weak point for India and we’ve been dependent on a number of extremely and unreliable weapon suppliers for our needs. Government, defence laboratories, state owned manufactures and Indian armed forces are equally responsible for the mess over the years. The reforms in this field have been very good under Manohar Parrikar and now Sitaraman. A number of long pending projects have been cleared, private sector is being involved at a much greater scale and money being spent for our defence needs is staying within country. Modi’s Make In India has been a positive factor. All these steps have enabled India to save 1 lakh crore in defence sector. 1* This has been made possible by a number of steps aimed at involving private industry in a much bigger way. One of the major long pending steps was transfer of technology from government owned research labs to industry which happened for first time. 2* 4*
As mentioned above, local defence manufacturing by local private players has received lot of support. A number of Indian companies are now manufacturing all of or major components for missiles, small arms, howitzers, vehicles and various other equipments. 1* 2* 4*
Issue of critical ammunition shortfall has been addressed by giving greater autonomy to armed forces, revamping production at OFB and setting up of private manufacturing plants. – 3*
Local weapon systems like Akash Surface to Air Missile, 4* Light Combat Aircraft Tejas fighter 5* and Nag Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) 6* have received much better and their long pending induction in armed forces expedited.
Development and manufacturing of small arms in India has received a major boost in last 4 years. A number of locally designed and made guns have already been inducted in various state police and paramilitary forces .11* 12* 13* 14* 15*
Long pending acquisitions and upgrades of essential items for soldiers like armour, helmets and guns have been approved. Induction of these items was pending for decades. 7* 8* 16* 17*
Critical issue of shortage of artillery guns has been solved by fast track development and induction of various Indian as well as foreign systems. These have been the first induction of artillery by Indian army since Bofors howitzer in 1986. 18* 19* 20* 21* 22* 23* 24*
Long pending and seemingly dead deal for India Air Force MRCA (Dassault Rafale) finally signed at good terms. -79*
Some of essential projects like Arjun are still stuck due to battles between Army and DRDO. In my opinion based on available open source information, army is being very unreasonable here. 25*
A number of naval projects like submarines, Vikrant aircraft carrier, ships are delayed and seemingly no steps have been taken to rectify sub-par performance of local shipyards. 26* 27* 28*
Project for next generation of Infantry Combat Vehicles ( to replace BMP) has made very slow progress. 29*
A C-130 Hercules in a newly commissioned Advanced Landing Grounds
B. Terrorism, Border and Internal security
This seems to be another field in which Modi government has done much better than previous regimes, but still fall shorts of expectations. Everyone already knows about some big actions like surgical strikes against terrorist camps in Pakistan and Myanmar. Home Minister Rajnath Singh faces regular abuse on social media for various reasons, but his work has proven that he is one of better ministers that this department has seen for quite some time. Some good work has been done to contain Maoists inside Indian hinterland. For the first time, civilian financiers and moles whose support enables Islamic terrorism in J&K have been targeted on such a large scale. But there are still a few issues which have not been addressed completely.
Cross border strikes against terrorist targets in Pakistan and Myanmar have sent a strong message and raised morale.35* 36* 37* . There have been various other small scale operations against pakis which haven’t received that much coverage. 38*
Area under Maoist influence has shrunk quite a bit. Good intelligence work, better connect with locals and coordination between different state police forces and paramilitary forces has yielded good results. 30* 31* 32* 33* 34*
Indian Army and BSF have been given greater autonomy to handle mischief by Pakis at border. It has yielded some good results and raised confidence of soldiers. Even BSF is regularly bashing up Paki posts which fire or try to insert terrorists. Pakis have now begged to enforce 2003 ceasefire agreement again. 39* 40* 41* 52*
Overground workers, financiers and various other supporters of muslim terrorists in J&K have been raided and arrested not just in the state, but outside too. 42* 43* 44* 45*
Shelters, aid and other facilities to victims of cross border shelling by pakis is being provided. It’s still not enough, but is first step for a long pending need. 55*
Border issues with China have seen India get a bit more vocal and assertive compared to previous incidents. It has not been perfect, but still better than what we used to see earlier. Steps are being taken to reduce Chinese advantages like construction of border roads, raising of dedicated military units and airfields 65* 66* 67* 68* 69* 70*
One of the biggest improvements is visible in number of terrorist attacks and resulting causalities. Since 2014, there has been a massive drop in number of terrorist incidents in India outside J&K. 80* 81*
This regime isn’t immune to appeasement policies when it comes to muslims leading to stupid decisions like ceasefire during ramzan. There have been some good successes against armed terrorists in Kashmir but issue of unarmed terrorists like the type who pelt stones and their supporters has not been adequately addressed.46*. After terrorist attack in Pathankot, we invited Pakistanis for a so called joint investigation. 48*
Khalistani militants continue to make noise and try to be a nuisance in some foreign countries. They have not been countered effectively. 47*
Resettlement of Kashmiri Hindus back in Kashmir is still not done. Very few steps have been taken to ensure that the displaced Hindus get their properties back 53* 54*
Issue of illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar has been a major failure. They have been allowed to settle in many parts of India and existing ones have not been deported. 50* 51*
No progress of taking PoK back or support of locals there against paki hegemony.
Forces involved in counter insurgency operations should have received better moral support from the government. Admittedly, it is just a point of view, but there have been incidents where soft jihadi Mufti regime in J&K (of which BJP is a part) has tried to implicate and harass security forces in fake cases. With BJP as partner in the govt, people had expected much stricter action against jihadi kashmiri muslims. But Mufti and her colleagues seem to be in control of administration. 76* 77*
C. Other Defence Issues
This section is for other issues related to Indian defence like government policies related to defence, handling of grievances and so on. For the abuse BJP gets from left-liberal circles for being regressive, a lot of pioneering work has been done like much greater participation of women in defence including path breaking combat roles. We also got our first female Minister of Defence and so far she has done an excellent job. There have been some good developments and for some aspects, things have remained the same if not worse.
For the first time, women are being given combat roles in Air Force, Coast Guard and various other branches like Assam Rifles. 56* 57* 58* 59*
One Rank One Pension has been rolled out. It is not perfect and the events leading up to it’s implementation were avoidable. But the basic work has been done and the veterans have started to receive their dues. 60* 61* 62*
Indian Ministry Of Defence has decided to not challenge disability pension for soldiers. 63*
There has been very little progress in resolving the issue of disparity between pay of civilian and military officers. 64*
Some stupid decisions like opening up of cantonment roads for civilian traffic 71* 72* which was later reversed. 73*
Spending on defence has not been up to expectations. 75*
Arun Jaitley was given additional charge of defence ministry for quite some time. These departments need two separate heads, not a single person juggling the two jobs. 74*
So far, this regime has been one of the best ones for Indian defence sector. As mentioned above, it is not perfect and a lot still needs to be done in due time.As far as the shortcomings are concerned, there are some very sore points like handling of illegal immigrants and civilian jihadis in Kashmir. But even the detractors and people with very high expectations should be reasonably happy with the performance so far.
Type: Pakistan Air Force operated airfield, no civilian use.
Location: Punjab, Pakistan.
Coordinates: 32° 4’38.20″N 73°47’23.65″E
Airstrip Length: 2.4 km
Comments: There is very little information about Chandhar airbase available in open sources. It’s about 77 km away from international border and seems to be military installation for use only during war time as a way of dispersing aircraft. There are some aircraft shelters, basic underground storage bunkers but limited support infrastructure. It’s surrounded by farms on all sides and shows very little signs of activity, construction and changes.