Life style habits of an average citizen who is very concerned about the environment and effects of Diwali fireworks:
1. Water : Pre-packaged bottled water. Plastic bottle thrown away after one use. Single use plastic cups in offices and elsewhere. Because carrying water from home or filter is too inconvenient.
2. Fruit & Vegetables : Usually bought from departmental stores which wrap them nicely in styrofoam and plastic sheets. Will not buy it from normal vendors because packaging looks better and “retains freshness”.
3. Favourite food : Definitely going to eat meat. Vegetarian food is so boring. Who cares about stress on environment due to meat industry ! Food : Home delivered in plastic containers. Thrown away the same day. Milk, Bought in plastic bags.
4. Transport : Mostly more polluting diesel engined cars bought because it is cheaper than petrol. Minimal use of public transport. Because walking and public transport is for poor.
5. Love for trees : Never planted a tree whole life. Paid bribes to govt departments just to cut down the trees in front of house to get extra space for parking. Also because trees shed too many leaves and have to pay sweeper extra to remove those.
6. Plants at home: Almost all fake, made of plastic. Because real plants require too much care and effort.
7. Shopping : Will always demand a polythene bag for every purchase. Because carrying own bag is so uncool.
But bursting fireworks on Diwali on night is more polluting than 365 days of such touching concern for environment.
One has to be a special type of hypocrite to whine so much while doing so little.